CaverjectTM or (Alprostadil) is a medication that is injected directly into the side of the penis (patient administered) and produces an erection through dilatation of blood vessels and relaxation of the spongy tissue of the penis.
- Works for men with a broad range of medical conditions
- Produces a safe and predictable erection
- The only medication that will initiate an erection without sexual stimulation
- effective for people with severe erectile dysfunction including those who have had nerve injuries due to to prostate operations
- An erection occurs anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes after injection. A patient must learn to perform a penile self-injection each time he wishes to engage in sexual activity. The erection will last 30 minutes to an hour or up to orgasm.
The first injection is usually performed by the Doctor, and is used both for diagnosis and to decide how much medication will be required in the future for that specific patient to have sexual activity. In other words, the medication dose for each individual is tailored to the erectile response to the first injection. Most patients find that they get used to the small needle sensation over time. The number of injections is not to exceed 12 each month, and should be spaced as evenly as possible.